Re: plain text vs. html

From: Jason Wong (security.focus@gremlins.com.hk)
Date: 05/08/02

From: Jason Wong <security.focus@gremlins.com.hk>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:54:05 +0800

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 07:43, Miklos Bagi Jr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well, I'm in this trap. I'm sure if my company were use plain text as
> emailing there wouldn't be any chance to get such infections like html
> mails are carrying inside of them. My question is:
>
> Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text?

Not with 100% reliability.

> As I see on my e-mail client (kmail), it does it really nice, but what I'm
> really looking for is doing it "on-the-fly" by sendmail for example.

AFAIK kmail has no html->text conversion capability. Most HTML mail comes
with a plaintext part and an HTML part and it is up to the mail client which
part to display.

/* Things equal to nothing else are equal to each other. */

Relevant Pages

  • Re: plain text vs. html
    ... I'm sure if my company were use plain text as emailing ... > Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text? ... GPG / PGP encrypted and signed messages preferred mail with subject "fetch key" for public key ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • plain text vs. html
    ... there wouldn't be any chance to get such infections like html mails are ... Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text? ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Image attachments and dialup
    ... HTML mails for me is, that they are somewhat harder to read than plain ... or bottom posters. ... Wem ein Nachteil an Vermögen, Körper, Geist oder dergleichen zugefügt ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: plain text vs. html
    ... On ┌t, 2002-05-07 at 01:43, Miklos Bagi Jr. ... > Is there any way to filter out html mails and "convert" them to plain text? ... I have to recommend to you, instead of tranlation HTML to the plain ... filter based on procmail. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Pocket Outlook & HTML emails
    ... As long as the sender sends as "both html and plain text" you should get the text portions... ... it may be easiest to access your html mails through that. ... Further, some providers also offer "PDA friendly" web sites to access mail without all the fluff, java ads and frames. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition)