AW: AW: entry in /etc/passwd

From: vogt@hansenet.com
Date: 05/07/02

From: vogt@hansenet.com
To: andrew@hatfields.com.au, sgifford@suspectclass.com
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 09:21:55 +0200

> In the OpenLDAP source and distribution packages (at least RedHat's),
> there are migration tools to do just this.
> Look in /usr/share/openldap/migration for example.

I remember. There was some kind of problem with these (i.e. they didn't work
and because I know nothing about LDAP and didn't understand much of what
they were supposed to do, I couldn't fix the problem). That was half a year
ago, so maybe I should check a more current version.

> I would review how the user accounts are created and make
> sure they fit
> your account policy before migrating though - as I personally
> don't like
> the way it creates the DN record, but thats just me.

see, that's the prob - I know nothing about LDAP. NIS is easy, because it
just moves user accounts across machines. that's all I want - a list of
accounts that can log on everywhere. :)

anyway, this is somewhat off-topic, except if you consider NIS a security
hole per se (which could definitely be argued). case in point is I tried and
failed, and I've been earning a living doing Unix sysadmin for several years
(before moving into pure security), so I guess many part-time admins will
find it equally difficult.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: migrating user accounts to Linux
    ... But I'm not a NIS expert by any metric. ... > In AIX, is it possible to migrate the users to a CSV file? ... >> accomplish a migration of user accounts from traditional UNIX to Linux ... >> the NIS client setup since I can do it on computer by computer basis. ...
    (RedHat)
  • NIS enabled, scoadmin -> account manager: results in error
    ... the account manager can't change user accounts. ... NIS to work with Microsoft Services for UNIX and it was not ... So I shut down the 5.0.6 test system and issued "mkdev nis -m" ... When I try to run scoadmin -> account manager and change the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Norton Personal Firewall - how does it stack up?
    ... If you install NIS, install the Parental Control ... think directly link the NIS user accounts to the Win XP user accounts. ... Parental controls I've never used, no young'uns around on our machines -- ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Norton Personal Firewall - how does it stack up?
    ... If you install NIS, install the Parental Control ... think directly link the NIS user accounts to the Win XP user accounts. ... Parental controls I've never used, no young'uns around on our machines -- ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Migrating user accounts
    ... Does anyone know if there is a way to copy or migrate user accounts from one ... Linux server to another Linux server without using NIS or LDAP without ... Installing NIS and/or LDAP are simply not options because the Cobalt will ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)