RE: AW: entry in /etc/passwd

From: Andrew Hatfield (andrew@hatfields.com.au)
Date: 05/07/02

Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 09:36:45 +1000
From: "Andrew Hatfield" <andrew@hatfields.com.au>
To: <vogt@hansenet.com>, <sgifford@suspectclass.com>

> If you want to do me - and tons of other people, I guess, a
> favour, write a
> script that'll initialize an LDAP server (easy enough to
> install) and set it
> up so that it handles user authentications. I looked at
> freshmeat and other
> sources and found nothing. If someone can point me to an
> easy-to-setup LDAP
> thingy, I'll switch the developer network over on the same day.

In the OpenLDAP source and distribution packages (at least RedHat's),
there are migration tools to do just this.
Look in /usr/share/openldap/migration for example.

You can import /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, /etc/hosts,
/etc/rpc, /etc/protocols, /etc/services, /etc/netgroups, /etc/fstab,
/etc/networks for example.

There are a number of perl and bash scripts. Its all pretty easy once
you understand the basic format. You can do either an online import, or
an offline. Both are supported by the migration scripts, so take your
pick.

I would review how the user accounts are created and make sure they fit
your account policy before migrating though - as I personally don't like
the way it creates the DN record, but thats just me.

Cheers

   --
  Andrew Hatfield
  RedHat Certified Engineer

  Hatfield & Associates Pty. Ltd.
  Phone : +61 7 3849 7155
  Fax : +61 7 3849 6277
  Email : info@hatfields.com.au
  Web : http://www.hatfields.com.au/

Relevant Pages

  • RedHat to Win2K3 server (and domain) migration
    ... I'm trying to perform an domain migration from Linux ... My question is how can I help myself (using scripts) to perform ... By this I mean keeping user accounts on the workstations from ...
  • RE: How to generate a report of inactive domain user accounts
    ... Neither of those scripts has anything to do with inactive user accounts, ... accounts from Active Directory after a period of inactivity" thread. ... Download your free fully functional trial, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: refresh test from prod in wrong way
    ... emulated to refresh data, especially if something is being version ... Production data is not always the best test data. ... I don't know exactly what you mean about user accounts being gone, ... perhaps you need to have scripts to add them. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • SSIS Data Migration Approach
    ... there is a requirement on which the migration scripts have to ... maintaining scripts manually and sticking them in SSIS. ... Population of Security Header and Security has to be treated ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)
  • Migration from SUN to AIX (message in En and Fr)
    ... I have to do a migration, numerous scripts, from an existing ... / Is my Bourne shell scripts would work? ... existant (Bourne shell sous SUN OS) pour une nouvelle (Korn Shell sous ...
    (comp.unix.shell)