Re: entry in /etc/passwd

From: Jon Leonard (
Date: 05/03/02

From: Jon Leonard <>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 19:14:02 -0700

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 04:37:13PM -0500, Charles Clancy wrote:

[ snip: +::0::0 line in /etc/passwd ]

> > any suggestions? Should I be worried???
> Yes -- you should be very worried! :) I suggest removing the line, and
> tracking down how you were attacked.

Some tools will convert a blank lines in /etc/passwd to that form, though
I don't remember which ones. So this might not be the result of malice,
though it should definitely be fixed & investigated.

/etc/passwd is very picky about format, and it is counterproductive to
leave blank lines or try to comment out lines.

Jon Leonard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: kerning
    ... tracking is referred to as "spacing" in the Character Spacing ... tab of the Format> Font dialog. ... Alt+spacebar opens the Restore, minimize, close shortcut menu. ...
  • Re: Number formatting question
    ... I've tried a "tracking number.txt" file which contains 14 rows of numbers ... and point necessary arrows (for every space in the data ... select-- for every seperate column "Column data format as TEXT" ... > It seems to me the easy custom format would be: ...
  • Re: A "does global variable exist" function
    ... dependency resolver, a bug tracker, namespace management, versioning, ... format and naming conventions, tracking of module maintainers, ...
  • Re: data retrieval-word documents
    ... I'm not sure why you wouldn't use the "compare documents" feature in ... Tracking. ... You could possibly save each document to a non-binary format such as RTF, ... > tracking change feature of Word. ...
  • Re: Transferring copy protected games
    ... Not if they use half tracking or nibble counts or ... ... like to extend the 2IMG format one day to make this possible. ...