Re: entry in /etc/passwd

From: Jon Leonard (jleonard@slimy.com)
Date: 05/03/02

From: Jon Leonard <jleonard@slimy.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 19:14:02 -0700
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 04:37:13PM -0500, Charles Clancy wrote:

[ snip: +::0::0 line in /etc/passwd ]

> > any suggestions? Should I be worried???
>
> Yes -- you should be very worried! :) I suggest removing the line, and
> tracking down how you were attacked.

Some tools will convert a blank lines in /etc/passwd to that form, though
I don't remember which ones. So this might not be the result of malice,
though it should definitely be fixed & investigated.

/etc/passwd is very picky about format, and it is counterproductive to
leave blank lines or try to comment out lines.

Jon Leonard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: kerning
    ... tracking is referred to as "spacing" in the Character Spacing ... tab of the Format> Font dialog. ... Alt+spacebar opens the Restore, minimize, close shortcut menu. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Number formatting question
    ... I've tried a "tracking number.txt" file which contains 14 rows of numbers ... and point necessary arrows (for every space in the data ... select-- for every seperate column "Column data format as TEXT" ... > It seems to me the easy custom format would be: ...
  • Re: A "does global variable exist" function
    ... dependency resolver, a bug tracker, namespace management, versioning, ... format and naming conventions, tracking of module maintainers, ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: data retrieval-word documents
    ... I'm not sure why you wouldn't use the "compare documents" feature in ... Tracking. ... You could possibly save each document to a non-binary format such as RTF, ... > tracking change feature of Word. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Transferring copy protected games
    ... Not if they use half tracking or nibble counts or ... ... like to extend the 2IMG format one day to make this possible. ...
    (comp.emulators.apple2)