AW: AW: entry in /etc/passwd

Date: 05/03/02

Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:38:07 +0200

> > this may or may not be reason to worry, depending on whether or not
> > you trust the yp server. NIS (in)security is a chapter of its
> > own. (and personally, I think it's high time something else comes
> > along. the beauty of NIS is that it works and is widely supported.)
> Like LDAP?

It may just be me (and let's be frank: My knowledge of LDAP consists of
knowing what it stands for and that's it), but setting up the LDAP server
was a pain in the ass last time I tried. Setting up the YP server took half
an hour, tops.

I have a developer network running on NIS/NFS right now, simply because even
though it pains me every time I think about it, that's the only thing that
worked pretty much out-of-the-box and this being what it is there simply is
no time to spend a couple days on setting up LDAP and OpenAFS or Coda.

If you want to do me - and tons of other people, I guess, a favour, write a
script that'll initialize an LDAP server (easy enough to install) and set it
up so that it handles user authentications. I looked at freshmeat and other
sources and found nothing. If someone can point me to an easy-to-setup LDAP
thingy, I'll switch the developer network over on the same day.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: One login for multiple machines
    ... get authenticated from remote server (thus not need to create ... network) a centrally-stored login on a Linux server for Windows PCs ... I've excerpted some relevant info from two web pages on NIS and LDAP... ... It is for this reason that LDAP ...
  • Re: Centralized authentication
    ... >A few people suggested NIS+. ... Virtually all of our boxes are FreeBSD, ... >don't know very much about either server. ... >setup and get working than an LDAP server. ...
  • Re: Does samba 3.0.14Aa on OS 5.0.6 work with ldapsam backend on another LDAP server?
    ... used 3.0.9 on SCO 5.0.6 for quite some time after suffering problems I ... a RedHat4 box running samba 3.0.10 and OpenLDAP 2.2.13. ... and no LDAP server (although there were the ... share on the SCO server without any smbpasswd on that server! ...
  • RE: LDAP & Find People not working
    ... need to refer to the KB article below to know how to use LDAP: ... | Yes, the scanner is on the local area network, so as you indicated below, ... | So I wonder why the scanner does not see the LDAP server. ...
  • slapd - slow starting
    ... contact LDAP server ... then slapd started fine but I without ldap in nsswitch.conf I cant ... # The user ID attribute (defaults to uid) ... # SSL enabled. ...