AW: AW: entry in /etc/passwd

From: vogt@hansenet.com
Date: 05/03/02

From: vogt@hansenet.com
To: sgifford@suspectclass.com
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:38:07 +0200

> > this may or may not be reason to worry, depending on whether or not
> > you trust the yp server. NIS (in)security is a chapter of its
> > own. (and personally, I think it's high time something else comes
> > along. the beauty of NIS is that it works and is widely supported.)
>
> Like LDAP?

It may just be me (and let's be frank: My knowledge of LDAP consists of
knowing what it stands for and that's it), but setting up the LDAP server
was a pain in the ass last time I tried. Setting up the YP server took half
an hour, tops.

I have a developer network running on NIS/NFS right now, simply because even
though it pains me every time I think about it, that's the only thing that
worked pretty much out-of-the-box and this being what it is there simply is
no time to spend a couple days on setting up LDAP and OpenAFS or Coda.

If you want to do me - and tons of other people, I guess, a favour, write a
script that'll initialize an LDAP server (easy enough to install) and set it
up so that it handles user authentications. I looked at freshmeat and other
sources and found nothing. If someone can point me to an easy-to-setup LDAP
thingy, I'll switch the developer network over on the same day.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: One login for multiple machines
    ... get authenticated from remote server (thus not need to create ... network) a centrally-stored login on a Linux server for Windows PCs ... I've excerpted some relevant info from two web pages on NIS and LDAP... ... It is for this reason that LDAP ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Centralized authentication
    ... >A few people suggested NIS+. ... Virtually all of our boxes are FreeBSD, ... >don't know very much about either server. ... >setup and get working than an LDAP server. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Does samba 3.0.14Aa on OS 5.0.6 work with ldapsam backend on another LDAP server?
    ... used 3.0.9 on SCO 5.0.6 for quite some time after suffering problems I ... a RedHat4 box running samba 3.0.10 and OpenLDAP 2.2.13. ... and no LDAP server (although there were the ... share on the SCO server without any smbpasswd on that server! ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • RE: LDAP & Find People not working
    ... need to refer to the KB article below to know how to use LDAP: ... | Yes, the scanner is on the local area network, so as you indicated below, ... | So I wonder why the scanner does not see the LDAP server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • slapd - slow starting
    ... contact LDAP server ... then slapd started fine but I without ldap in nsswitch.conf I cant ... # The user ID attribute (defaults to uid) ... # SSL enabled. ...
    (freebsd-stable)