Re: AW: entry in /etc/passwd

From: Scott Gifford (sgifford@suspectclass.com)
Date: 05/03/02

To: vogt@hansenet.com
From: Scott Gifford <sgifford@suspectclass.com>
Date: 02 May 2002 19:10:37 -0400

vogt@hansenet.com writes:

[...]

> this may or may not be reason to worry, depending on whether or not
> you trust the yp server. NIS (in)security is a chapter of its
> own. (and personally, I think it's high time something else comes
> along. the beauty of NIS is that it works and is widely supported.)

Like LDAP?

----ScottG.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NIS/NFS question
    ... This means that the server will not ... you can't trust the IP address nor the Mac ... We are using NIS to ... >> If a student walks into the lab with their laptop running their ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Choose from multiple domains in logon box?
    ... Server 2000 domain, and I don't think the trust ... relationships are supported in that platform. ... or the other one - depending on who you ...
  • Re: Queston re Norton Internet Security 2003
    ... First, in the NIS Console, set Security to HIGH; ... about the more esoteric Trojans (due to your Internet habits), ... well worth your time to install one of the dedicated anti-Trojan software ... What's an 'unprotected server application'? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: One login for multiple machines
    ... get authenticated from remote server (thus not need to create ... network) a centrally-stored login on a Linux server for Windows PCs ... I've excerpted some relevant info from two web pages on NIS and LDAP... ... It is for this reason that LDAP ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • SUMMARY: centralizing account mgmt? is it worth doing?
    ... LDAP-accessible directory server ... NIS is simple, still widely used, and probably exactly what ... one developer has 15 different UNIX accounts. ...
    (SunManagers)