No Root Shell with SUID /bin/bash

From: helmut schmidt (helmutsch69@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/17/02

From: "helmut schmidt" <helmutsch69@hotmail.com>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:38:34 +0000

Hello,

I have set the SUID bit on /bin/bash but when I run from a normal
unprivileged user, I do not get a root shell - just a normal user context.

When I do the same on Compaq Tru64 I get a root shell - as expected.

Can someone explain why my Linux (Suse 6.2) will not play...

thanks Helmut

  • Re: No Root Shell with SUID /bin/bash
    ... > unprivileged user, I do not get a root shell - just a normal user context. ... That's a feature:) Bash2 won't honor the suid root bit, afaik ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: No Root Shell with SUID /bin/bash
    ... > unprivileged user, I do not get a root shell - just a normal user ... > When I do the same on Compaq Tru64 I get a root shell - as expected. ... it'll revert the effective gid and uid to the real gid and ...
    (Focus-Linux)