Re: Restricted Shells or Menu Based Shells

From: Ben McGinnes (ben-mcginnes@iname.com)
Date: 03/01/02

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 06:32:42 +1100
From: Ben McGinnes <ben-mcginnes@iname.com>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

Jens Benecke(jens@jensbenecke.de)@Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 01:09:59AM +0100:

> You might also want to consider www.grsecurity.net. It's a kernel patch
> that allows you (among a lot of other interesting features) to (quote)

On a similar topic, but getting a little away from simply a restricted
menu system or shell is the "Security Enhanced Linux" project over at the
NSA:

        http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/

It's a series of kernel patches, initially just for Red Hat systems, but
has since been successfully added to other distributions to improve the
inbuilt security options and permission levels within Linux. It's still
very much a beta product and those doing the developing do not see a
proper stable (for a production environment) release until the 2.6.x
kernel series.

It does, however, make for interesting reading. Both on the web site and
the mailing list.

Regards,
Ben

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change
    ... these days that any new versions could justify a major change (eg: ... for the 2.8 kernel series. ... things back then that have taken a lot of counseling to be able to get ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Linux 2.6.25.10
    ... any users of the 2.6.25 kernel series are STRONGLY encouraged to ... But I think including this information with the announcements ... If you have any specific questions about any of the individual changes, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: User-space DMA patch for 2.4.x kernels
    ... >taken the time to port my user-space DMA patch to kernel series 2.4. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: What is the best recent kernel
    ... It looks as though RHEL 6 Beta 2 is using kernel-2.6.32-37.el6.i686.rpm ... to get a 2.6.32 kernel in an RHEL release. ... I was confused when someone posted that the most recent kernel Red Hat ... The 2.6 kernel series is a developmental kernel follow an evolutionary ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Audio Problem
    ... Is posible load a driver even if this one is ... As Robin suggested, you can try Alsa, with recent kernels (2.6.x ... With the 2.4.x kernel series you should find precompiled Debian ...
    (Debian-User)