Re: Restricted Shells or Menu Based Shells

From: Sumit Dhar (dhar@dexponet.com)
Date: 02/24/02

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:17:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Sumit Dhar <dhar@dexponet.com>
To: Victor Usjanov <victor@decna.com>

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Victor Usjanov wrote:

> Seen your advice and decided to try on my server. I am running RH7.2.
> When i tried to change /bin/bash to /bin/bash2 -r for a test user in
> /etc/passwd file, and log on that user, the only thing i got was
> "cannot run /bin/bash2 -r: No such file or directory"

This is the mail I sent to the other person too...

Check the following:

1. Is bash2 present on your system? (whereis bash2 should do the trick)
        -> If it exists, is it executable?

2. Does an entry for bash2 exist in /etc/shells? (cat /etc/shells should
show an entry for /bin/bash2)
        -> If there is no entry, manually add /bin/bash2 to your
           /etc/shells

3. Once you have done all that, add a user whose shell is /bin/bash2 -r
to your password file.

Once you have done that, let me know how it goes...

Regards
Dhar

--
In God I Trust -- on all others I use dsniff, ettercap and lczroex

pub 1024D/7AB2D05A 2002-02-24 Sumit Dhar (Sumit Dhar, SLMSoft.com) <dhar@dexponet.com> Key fingerprint = 4A18 D20D 3D15 6C5B CD2F 8E45 B903 0C29 7AB2 D05A sub 1024g/C57534F6 2002-02-24

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Basic NT4 to w2k3 migration questions
    ... > The easiest way and the least disruptive is to upgrade your existing PDC ... If you can't do that then use the "advice". ... >> hardware and then upgrading it to w2k3 which sounds a bit idiotic to me. ... This includes a Windows 2003 Exchance server. ...
  • Re: sunmanagers digest, Vol 1 #2105 - 7 msgs
    ... >This is a logical disk. ... The question is whether those pre-defined partitions ... >are because of something Sun is doing, or if its something EMC is doing. ... >> server and configuration server, image server is the same server. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Basic NT4 to w2k3 migration questions
    ... The easiest way and the least disruptive is to upgrade your existing PDC ... If you can't do that then use the "advice". ... > hardware and then upgrading it to w2k3 which sounds a bit idiotic to me. ... This includes a Windows 2003 Exchance server. ...
  • Sun Managers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    ... The List Server maintainer is Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill dot ... What fields can I use to filter Sun Managers email? ... newsgroups and mailing lists around to cover the marginal topics. ...