Re: Restricted Shells or Menu Based Shells

From: Sumit Dhar (dhar@dexponet.com)
Date: 02/24/02

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:17:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Sumit Dhar <dhar@dexponet.com>
To: Victor Usjanov <victor@decna.com>

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Victor Usjanov wrote:

> Seen your advice and decided to try on my server. I am running RH7.2.
> When i tried to change /bin/bash to /bin/bash2 -r for a test user in
> /etc/passwd file, and log on that user, the only thing i got was
> "cannot run /bin/bash2 -r: No such file or directory"

This is the mail I sent to the other person too...

Check the following:

1. Is bash2 present on your system? (whereis bash2 should do the trick)
        -> If it exists, is it executable?

2. Does an entry for bash2 exist in /etc/shells? (cat /etc/shells should
show an entry for /bin/bash2)
        -> If there is no entry, manually add /bin/bash2 to your
           /etc/shells

3. Once you have done all that, add a user whose shell is /bin/bash2 -r
to your password file.

Once you have done that, let me know how it goes...

Regards
Dhar

--
In God I Trust -- on all others I use dsniff, ettercap and lczroex

pub 1024D/7AB2D05A 2002-02-24 Sumit Dhar (Sumit Dhar, SLMSoft.com) <dhar@dexponet.com> Key fingerprint = 4A18 D20D 3D15 6C5B CD2F 8E45 B903 0C29 7AB2 D05A sub 1024g/C57534F6 2002-02-24