Re: Restricted Shells or Menu Based Shells

From: Dano (dano@phink.org)
Date: 02/22/02

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:40:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Dano <dano@phink.org>
To: Terrence Martin <twm139@its.to>

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Terrence Martin wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good restricted or menu based shell?
>
> What I am looking for is a shell that will allow users to run a small set
> of commands. For example
>
> pine for reading mail
> passwd for changing their password
> a .forward script (custome most likely) to set a new .forward.
>
> Anyone have anything they like to use? I know pine is a bit of a hassle as
> it can be used to run external commands, so I might skip that one, but
> definitely the passwd and .forward script editor.

We ended up using pdmenu (http://www.kitenet.net/programs/pdmenu/) to
create a menu based interface for the end users. They have accounts on a
Linux box with their shells listed as a script that builds the rc file for
pdmenu and then runs it. If you trap the errors and don't allow input
(the edit menu option has a bug that allows you to enter a ; and then
execute any command) its fairly secure and difficult to get a shell.

And with pine you can always edit to source to remove the shell option.

--Dano

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Redirection issue
    ... 1- execute input commands from standard input, ... code to implement the redirection it does not work anymore. ... And it's not good shell behavior to echo commands anyway. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Redirection issue
    ... 1- execute input commands from standard input, ... the phrase "it does not work anymore" carries very little meaning. ... after compilation and execution of the shell with a simple command like ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • vulnerabilities in scponly
    ... without allowing shell access. ... scponly makes no effort to verify the path to the scp or sftp-server ... arbitrary commands by simply uploading a file. ... However, if this is *NOT* the case, the user could execute arbitrary ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Redirection issue
    ... 1- execute input commands from standard input, ... "does not work" could be anything from not compiling, not executing, ... after compilation and execution of the shell with a simple command like ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: PYTHONPATH
    ... The error indicates the shell tried to execute a program named '1' and couldn't find one. ... Arthimetic expressions generally have to be wrapped in ) in bash: ... non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes ... commands from the file /etc/profile, ...
    (comp.lang.python)