Restricted Shells or Menu Based Shells

From: Terrence Martin (twm139@its.to)
Date: 02/20/02

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:23:21 -0700 (MST)
From: Terrence Martin <twm139@its.to>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

Can anyone recommend a good restricted or menu based shell?

What I am looking for is a shell that will allow users to run a small set
of commands. For example

pine for reading mail
passwd for changing their password
a .forward script (custome most likely) to set a new .forward.

Anyone have anything they like to use? I know pine is a bit of a hassle as
it can be used to run external commands, so I might skip that one, but
definitely the passwd and .forward script editor.

Cheers,

Terrence

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Pines use in difficult times
    ... The problem with SSH access to a shell provider ... difficult to compose messages that way and even to navigate pine's ... Latency can definitely be a problem using a shell client. ... I use a local copy of pine to copy only the ...
    (comp.mail.pine)
  • Re: "postponed" type mailboxes....
    ... it from the composer to your shell, ... Pine will ask you whether to append it to ... Next time you want to modify it, you can just start a message, ... in pine hit Ctrl-Z to suspend pine and drop you into your shell. ...
    (comp.mail.pine)
  • Re: Another question for Ddave (Was: Can you merge Pines?)
    ... One way to check your shell is to type this: ... Exit out of that 'chsh' screen without making any changes. ... (And if you already use any pine ... I hope you like berries and can eat lots of them every day! ...
    (comp.mail.pine)
  • Re: Another question -- OUCH
    ... aliases set up in your shell or how to change your shell to bash ... new plain pine does go straight to titan at lserv; ... titan inbox, and instead get the long error message when I try to forward ... command pine. ...
    (comp.mail.pine)
  • Re: Restricted Shells or Menu Based Shells
    ... > Can anyone recommend a good restricted or menu based shell? ... Perhaps bash -r, or "rbash"? ... I know pine is a bit of a ...
    (Focus-Linux)