PAM and LinuxRouter questions

From: Systems Administrator (
Date: 01/14/02

From: "Systems Administrator" <>
To: <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:33:30 +1100

    Two questions which I hope will prove sufficiently exciting.

    The first one is that I have set up an NIS server which uses a
non-standard passwd/shadow/group file (/var/yp/<domain>/whatever). I'm
trying to get PAM to use it to (for the passwd command, useradd, radiusd,
etc). I've been hacking away at pam_unix, making it accept parameters in
/etc/pam.d/* that choose the file name. Is there an easy way to do this
that I am missing?

    The second is, I have set up a Linux router on a 486, using
masquerading. My secure shell connections *through* it get dropped after 5
minutes or so of inactivity, but when I go through our other proxy (Win2k)
they stay connected indefinately. Does anyone know what makes it drop the

    If anyone has any ideas on either of these, they'd be much appreciated.

    Thanks all,

Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator, Sunet Internet
Tel: (03) 5241 1155
Fax: (03) 5241 6187

Relevant Pages

  • Re: F13 install on lappy, comments
    ... go hacking about to make the new install work with my local network ... Previouisly I had to do that hacking by hand, ... I get a window with title "Configure - KDE Control Module", ... which has no connections entered under Wired or Wireless. ...
  • Re: Windows 2000 and maximum open SocketChannels / File descriptors
    ... when I use apache without the proxy the number of concurrent ... So I'm not talking about hacking the OS but a simple way how to ... increase the number of concurrent connections available to any java ...