Re: Locking Down a Linux Box

From: ellipse (elliptic@cipherpunks.com)
Date: 01/07/02

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:21:40 -0700 (MST)
From: ellipse <elliptic@cipherpunks.com>
To: "Derek D. Martin" <ddm@mclinux.com>

> Yeah, that's definitely true. Plus, if the Linux box in question uses
> any of the major distributions with a package manager, it's trivial to

And what happens when the administrator removes the package manager?

ellipse

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] removing programs
    ... In Linux, most applications are installed using a package manager, such as ... There are some other good ways to install programs. ... Some of these contain an uninstall, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Locking Down a Linux Box
    ... >> Yeah, that's definitely true. ... if the Linux box in question uses ... >> any of the major distributions with a package manager, ... Then he removes the possibility of doing easy security updates of the system, ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: A rookies query: Want to about Debian and the related
    ... I guess Linux is kernel only. ... DEB vs RPM ... LXDE looks somewhat like Windows, so it should be easy to adapt to. ... The other differentiator is the package manager. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is Linux virus-proof?
    ... any malware that would attempt to infect ... > the same package manager as Red Hat, or Gentoo, or whatever. ... write a self-contained program that would run under Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: How to update old Firefox browser under Suse Linux?
    ... without auto-update. ... though it does in fact also work under linux. ... Failing that remove the old software using the package manager but watch out ... software leave it where it is and install over the original. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)