Re: Locking Down a Linux Box

From: ellipse (elliptic@cipherpunks.com)
Date: 01/07/02

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:39:21 -0700 (MST)
From: ellipse <elliptic@cipherpunks.com>
To: egrejda@medebiz.net

> True - look at the rootkits that include copies of pico.

Even without pico, vi, emacs, or cat for that matter, the only way to
ensure that a local user couldn't edit files would be to pull down the
source of a shell, remove the "echo" functionality, remove redirects, and
alter the ability of pipes to only permit piping between certain commands.

Of course, what you have left of UNIX, or an operating system for that
matter, is subject to anybody's wildest guess.

ellipse

Relevant Pages

  • developing simple c toy programs using visual studio .net
    ... I really want to get used to the ide but i'm not sure how to.. ... I really don't like pico nor emacs for that matter. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc)
  • Re: Boll Weevil bAss
    ... "He is like a cat that is constantly rubbing on your leg. ... matter how often you run them off, ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at ... Certainly not, computer programmers and, specifically, Java ... anyone holding an *informed* opinion of emacs that differs from your ... Ports and variants are another matter of course, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Old UNIXTricks
    ... $ mkdir matter; cat>matter ... Unknown user: god. ... % alias alias alias ...
    (uk.rec.humour)
  • Re: Track bike.
    ... > matter for track use. ... market suspension isn't that common for a TRX, ... Loads of race bikes seem to be advertised sans V5 - I'm guessing mostly ... cat B write offs, registration 'lost', and never before registered (as ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)