Re: About named port binding

From: Praise (praisetazio@tiscalinet.it)
Date: 01/05/02

From: Praise <praisetazio@tiscalinet.it>
To: focus-linux@lists.securityfocus.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 01:42:54 +0100

Il 19:48, giovedý 3 gennaio 2002, Seth Arnold ha scritto:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:55:31PM +0900, chulmin wrote:
> > I know that only root account bind a port below 1024.
> > and anyuser except root can bind or use a port above 1024.
>
> Heh, it isn't that simple, with POSIX 1.e capabilities. But, for 99.99%
> of all users, it is the case. Just be aware that the capabilities thing
> modifies this...

It sounds new to me. Can you give me a pointer to some basic information
about this?

Praise

Relevant Pages

  • Re: About named port binding
    ... > I know that only root account bind a port below 1024. ... > and anyuser except root can bind or use a port above 1024. ... process EUID. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • About named port binding
    ... I know that only root account bind a port below 1024. ... and anyuser except root can bind or use a port above 1024. ... But named process uses udp port 53 with named uid. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewal
    ... Something like 'let application XX uses port YY when user ZZ run it' is cool ... for personal security. ... Capabilities sound an interesting way of approaching this. ... based system both user and application will need networking permission. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Ports 0-1023?
    ... the cap_effective mask of the current task structure is checked against ... > all capabilities except CAP_NET_RAW). ... bind to a specific port < 1024. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Parallel port hardware
    ... line or use the open collector of the control port to somehow do it(which ... EPP or ECP, and have real, official, bidirectional operation. ... Actually SPP, EPP, and ECP. ... capabilities are probably part of the ECP and EPP modes so maybe technically ...
    (sci.electronics.design)