Re: 2 security issues

From: Paul Lussier (pll@mclinux.com)
Date: 12/12/01

To: "bugtraq@t-swat.com" <bugtraq@t-swat.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:52:24 -0500
From: Paul Lussier <pll@mclinux.com>

In a message dated: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:43:46 PST
"bugtraq@t-swat.com" said:

>At 11:33 AM 10/12/2001, hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org wrote:
>>On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
>>
>> > 1. Is there any way to encrypt all "system" mail to a specific key by
>> > default?
>>
>>If you use scripts it should be feasible to use GPG for this in an
>>automated manner.
>
>Just remember that anything that can be automatically done, can be
>automatically "un-done". That's like locking the door but leaving the key
>under the mat.

Well, yeah, but in order to decrypt the mail, one would need both the
private key *and* the passphrase. Even if the get the key, it's
still a royal pain to brute force it.

Of course, that doesn't prevent anyone from intercepting the mail
before it's delivered/encrypted :)

--

Seeya, Paul ----

God Bless America!

...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around, and we never stop trying to be better. Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 2 security issues
    ... On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Robin Lynn Frank wrote: ... If you use scripts it should be feasible to use GPG for this in an ... automated manner. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: 2 security issues
    ... >>automated manner. ... For GPG to encrypt to a key, ... have a copy of the private key, it should be quite difficult for someone ... If he were using symmetric encryption, ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: question about gpg
    ... for the private key? ... better to use the public method even for personal encryption,despite i ... gpg and browsing the web i found out that using a password for about ... 2**128 bits it would be as strong as an encryption on 2048 length ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: PGP scripting...
    ... > PGP with scripts (or even Java code), the scripts need access to both the ... > private key and pass phrase. ... came up with to do decryption is to copy the encrypted file via UUCP (the ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: Encrypting incoming messages with GnuPG