Re: user selection for ssh connection

From: bugtraq@rootbash.be
Date: 11/29/01

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:40:35 +0000 (GMT)
From: <bugtraq@rootbash.be>
To: "james d. butler" <jamesDB@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: user selection for ssh connection

> Is it possible to exclude individual users from connecting via
> SSH? I'd like to have a list of users that are allowed to
> connect and a list of those that are not. Can it be done? If
> so, how?

One of th emost used practices are

in /etc/passwd
the shell of the people who can not use ssh
or /bin/false which means no login
or /bin/ftponly for people who can not log in but can use ftp

and /bin/ftponly a script which shows a warning that you are not allowd

simpy

echo "you have no access to this by ssh , only ftp"

and for more security you can use trap so they aint able to stop the
script with ctrl-c or something like that

Bruno
Rootbash.be

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Win32 talking to *nix question
    ... I don't want something that runs whenever the user logs in, eg., ftp, ssh, whatever -- ... I want something that runs whenever my app connects without ... script manually, THEN run the app to download the results via FTP. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • RE: Kind of off topic.
    ... If you "need" remote desktop access, perhaps WebEx would help - or as others pointed out an RDP client for *nix should work as well. ... To some I would be able to connect using ssh, ... >> OS's from FreeBSD? ... >The fastest and simplest method is still a plain good old SSH connection ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: reconnect expect to a rebooting remote
    ... If the appliance goes away the hard way and your ssh connection ... Either way you will get eof only when the network stack on the ... sshd is not running you will get connection refused. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: [PHP] Copy Function Errors
    ... You need to test using regular FTP, SFTP goes over SSH, while the PHP ... default most linux distributions do not give apache a password. ... of 20 characters that only your script knows. ...
    (php.general)
  • RE: Kind of off topic.
    ... To some I would be able to connect using ssh, ... OS's from FreeBSD? ... If the remote hosts are running FreeBSD, ... The fastest and simplest method is still a plain good old SSH connection ...
    (freebsd-questions)