Re: Unapproved updates

From: Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu)
Date: 11/16/01

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:50:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Phil Brutsche <pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu>
To: Fab Siciliano <fsiciliano@optiumcorp.com>
Subject: Re: Unapproved updates

> Hey everybody,
>
> I just recently started seeing all these unapproved updates hitting my
> dns server in /var/log/messages. Is this a security risk?

No.

> Do I need to allow updates if it's a secondary dns server?

No.

> If I don't allow updates, then there would be no point to direct users
> to it...right? Because it wouldn't be caching other hosts' info. Am I
> right on this or WAY OFF? Thanks,

In a way it's totally harmless: some misconfigured Win2k systems are
trying to update their information in DNS, which they (obviously) don't
have the access rights to do.

It is *damn* annoying, however.

--

Phil

Relevant Pages

  • Re: News from France
    ... Who" updates, I guess it's my turn to give you ... on NRJ Paris, a local channel part of the same group that owns NRJ 12, which ... No news yet about an airing of COE on SyFy Universal (yes, ... Hey! ...
    (rec.arts.drwho)
  • Re: windows update question
    ... The ActiveX on the page asks your compuer "hey, ... > on to see the list of updates already on your computer. ... one they've had since.(the problem one and then the, "fix for the fix"). ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Mac mini as media centre (& in lieu of NAS)
    ... so I'm stuck with the lowest possible signal quality. ... Hey ... No USB tuners dangling out the back or updates, ... And you could mention the Topfield's rubbish remote, furnace temperatures, and always on update. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • RE: authentication problem
    ... hey i might be able to help i can get a hold of you if you want help im at ... imortal1979@xxxxxxxxx i work on computer for living and maybe you can help me ... > to perform updates, I add the anonymos rule in my ISA2000 server...but when i ... > progress bar and send popups requering user and name..... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: ...Visionary, Fantastic, Surreal...
    ... There are updates! ... Hey, that's nice stuff -- ochin horosho! ...
    (rec.arts.fine)