Re: changing root account name

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@wirex.com)
Date: 11/01/01

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:13:19 -0800
From: Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: changing root account name

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 02:07:13PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > In fact correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of Unices simply expect the
> > superuser account to be the first line in the passwd file? I seem
> > to remember reasing something about it years ago?
>
> None, that I'm aware of and I go back to the AT&T release 3 days.
> The password file is totally order independent.

Not entirely; iirc, if one has two accounts named 'root' listed in the
/etc/passwd file, some Unix systems would get the first, and others
would be officially non-deterministic, though one may be able to figure
out the order used.

In the specific case of "first entry is root", well, I've never heard
that one anywhere else, but that doesn't mean it isn't true somewhere. :)

Cheers! :)

--
The Bill of Rights: 7 out of 10 rights haven't been sold yet! Contact
your congressman for details how *you* can buy one today!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: user privledges
    ... > redhat 7.2 i created a user account for myself to use on a daily basis. ... > fare i have just been su - and entering the root pass. ... it started but would not install because i did ... sofware to /opt/musicmatch as a normal user. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Alerting - Malicious software removal tool
    ... >needed to install an application that she could not install from ... >"Administrator" account. ... You failed to analyze the root cause and correct it ... use their computers to have fun. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: hi all..
    ... And with sudo, I certainly wouldn't because they already have root. ... If you somehow had access to my account right now, ... install an effective key logger without root. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: cant login as root
    ... > The only reason they don't have a local account is they were too lazy to ... If you're root you create and maintain a user account. ... local root accounts are themselves a hazard. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: hi all..
    ... and someone gets access your shell account, ... Only root can install an su binary. ... Of course, if I have sudo ...
    (Fedora)