RE: SSH security

From: Peter Mueller (pmueller@sidestep.com)
Date: 10/23/01

From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@sidestep.com>
To: 'Charlie Brady' <charlieb@e-smith.com>, Patrick Ohnewein <pohnewein@prodata.it>
Subject: RE: SSH security
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:39:11 -0700

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Patrick Ohnewein wrote:
>
> > Are there some disadvantages or security problems in useing
> xinetd in
> > place of sshd directly?
>
> One disadvantage is increased latency in startup, since sshd needs to
> generate a new host session key for each connection. Probably
> not too much
> of an issue with modern processors, but try it with a 386 or a SPARC1.

not to mention scaling quite horribly due to the spawning of multiple
threads. if you ssh once in a while then do whatever suits your fancy;
however, if this is a server the choice is obvious.

cheers,

Peter Mueller

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH security
    ... Subject: SSH security ... > Are there some disadvantages or security problems in useing xinetd in ... One disadvantage is increased latency in startup, since sshd needs to ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: SSH security
    ... Subject: SSH security ... On my RH_7.0 I use xinetd to start the sshd on demand, ... security, but xinetd supports a lot interesting options to restrict ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • inetd vs xinetd
    ... I was looking into inetd and xinetd, basically i was wondering what advantages ... or disadvantages one has over the other. ... provides more granular control of the services. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)