Re: SUID program removal

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@wirex.com)
Date: 10/18/01

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:43:57 -0700
From: Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: SUID program removal

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:51:14PM +0200, Pacifi3r wrote:
> Newbie would like to know which program on a base RedHat 7.1 installed can
> have the SUID bit removed. Base in this instance means that no additional
> package were selected for install.

This is great. :) Newbie also can use this chance to learn the power of
'find'. :) Two-birds-with-one-stone sort of approach.

You can run 'find / -perm +07000 -print' to find files on your system
with setuid, setgid, and sticky-bit set. You could then research each
file to find out what uses it, and remove the ones that you don't seem
to need.

You can also use bastille to help secure your machine. I've never used
bastille, but I keep hearing good things about it, so it is probably
worth a shot.

Cheers :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SUID program removal
    ... > Newbie would like to know which program on a base RedHat 7.1 installed can ... > package were selected for install. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • SUID program removal
    ... Newbie would like to know which program on a base RedHat 7.1 installed can ... package were selected for install. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Advice wanted on Laptop Setup
    ... > again to grips with linux and really knuckle down and learn it and use it ... I used Slackware as a newbie. ... Debian has a reputation for being "newbie install" hostile (though I'd ... > But if my laptop setup wont work with linux then i guess i am stuck on MS! ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Newbie partitioning question
    ... Or, since this guy is a newbie, just KISS. ... In his first post, he specified an "NFS server", apparently ... >>files, do a complete clean install, and transfer the ... >>any amount of installed software (the partitioning step ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Can you say ripoff - OT
    ... Normal install breaks in partitioning ......good no worries ... I love Linux and Suse,and i had no qualms abt struggling for 2 ... Is Linux really really ready for "ALL" Desktops ..???? ... it looks like there is a gap concerning getting started as a newbie with ...
    (SuSE)