AW: Root can't delete files

From: vogt@hansenet.com
Date: 10/11/01

From: vogt@hansenet.com
To: simon@trustinternet.com, nbock@buffalo.edu
Subject: AW: Root can't delete files
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:53:05 +0200

> If you want protected files, put them on a floppy disk, flip the
> write-protect tab and leave the disk in the drive for when
> you need it. No
> amount of root kit is going to flip that tab back over again.

an intruder can, however, mess with your kernel and binaries. so even if
your files on the floppy are safe, after a well-done intrusion you shouldn't
be too sure that "mount /dev/fd0 /floppy" does what you expect it to do.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Root cant delete files
    ... > If you want protected files, put them on a floppy disk, flip the ... > write-protect tab and leave the disk in the drive for when you need it. ... > amount of root kit is going to flip that tab back over again. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Safe SSH logins from public, untrusted Windows computers
    ... particular key, on a floppy disk, and use that to log in. ... if I plan on doing any work as root, would I be better off setting ... following the common practive of logging in as a regular user and then su-ing? ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Serial ATA and SBS 2003 std.
    ... management and YOU, the consultant need to CHANGE it to dynamic rather ... you need to "flip to dynamic drives". ... Come on Root, lighten up around the newbies will you? ... And yeah the thing that would make it "flip" is human interaction. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: mount / umount
    ... > PLUS, if I try to mount the floppy disk by an user and not as root, I get thie ... > naturally the user that I use to mount the floppy is in the group wheel. ... Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: not being able to write to /mnt/floppy
    ... because you mounted it as root. ... the floppy disk if you do that. ... > Alos do i always have to become root to mount. ... > I tried mount as normal user but the error message was ...
    (linux.redhat)