Floppy Linuxes, Kickstart

From: Systems Administrator (sysadmin@sunet.com.au)
Date: 09/25/01

From: "Systems Administrator" <sysadmin@sunet.com.au>
To: <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Floppy Linuxes, Kickstart
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:46:13 +1000

    I've read the kickstart documentation (comes with Redhat, maybe others),
and it mostly looks good, but I want to be able to configure machines mostly
the same with just a few options different. I'd like to use kickstart, but
have it still ask me for a few key pieces of information (eg. network
configs, partition table, etc), preferably with me supplying the defaults.
I'm found that some of this can be overcome by putting "netconfig" in the
%pre section, but I haven't found any good solution for partition tables or
the root password (which I want different on the different machines). Does
anyone know of any way to do this, either through one of the kickstart
options, or through programs to run in the %pre section?

    Also, with the recent discussion of floppy linuxes (both firewall and
rescue), I got tired of not being able to find any good info, so I made:

http://users.sunet.com.au/~tsn/floppy_linux.html

    If someone could mirror it, and let me know, that would be nifty. I
think some of these distributions have almost been created because people
couldn't find the others. It's better than the other listings I saw,
because it's more comprehensive, and includes descriptions. Naturally, I
don't guarantee it's better than any lists I *didn't* see :).

    :)

Systems Administrator

Sunet Internet
Tel: (03) 5241 1155
Fax: (03) 5241 6187
http://www.sunet.com.au
Email: sysadmin@sunet.com.au

Relevant Pages

  • Creating Driver Disk for Kickstart
    ... We just recieved a 35 machines with Asus P4P800 motherboards which have ... Redhat 9.0 boot CD-ROM doesn't recognize the NIC and we cannot kickstart ... Does anyone have any instructions on how to make a driver disk for Redhat ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: what has yum update done?
    ... why should i bother with kickstart and centrally configurations ... if i have a ton of production machines with *highly* customized ...
    (Fedora)
  • Hostname and IP address during kickstart
    ... I have a bunch of machines that I kickstart. ... They all use DHCP to ... Currently, in /etc/hosts on these machines, their hostname is set to ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Floppy Linuxes, Kickstart
    ... Subject: Floppy Linuxes, Kickstart ... > the root password (which I want different on the different machines). ... you can build a seperate kickstart config for every server, ... web server farm plus a few infrastructure boxes). ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Force Kickstart to one nic
    ... PXE boot will do the trick! ... I am in a situation where I need to be able to force a kickstart to many ... machines of which some may have single or dual nic installed. ...
    (RedHat)