Re: iptables

From: Rob 'Feztaa' Park (fezziker@home.com)
Date: 09/20/01

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:42:33 -0600 (MDT)
From: Rob 'Feztaa' Park <fezziker@home.com>
To: Bugtraq - Focus Linux <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: iptables

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Thomas Kirk (dis)graced my inbox with this:

> Setup :
>
> +------>192.168.10.x
> |
> |------>192.168.11.x
> Internet->Gatway(running iptables etc)--|
> |------>192.168.12.x
> |
> +------>192.168.13.x
>
> How is this done? Right now i cant connect to the server from any of
> the sides?

Ok, according to the following rules:

> iptables -A state_chk -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A state_chk -m state --state NEW -i ! eth0 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A state_chk -j DROP

It looks as though your router is dropping all new packets that are coming
in on eth0. If eth0 is the interface that the firewall is using for itself
(not used for any forwarding), then that would mean you can't connect to
it. Make that second rule look like this:

iptables -A state_chk -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

and it should work fine.

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
fezziker@home.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: blocking spam in Outlook Express 6
    ... > it will land in your inbox and the second rule will not be applied. ... > others will be redirected to the deleted folder per the second rule. ... > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Move rule creates a copy instead
    ... Partner Technical Lead - Outlook ... >Check for a second rule or a second option in the first rule that conflicts ... >> that email moved to a seperate folder with that users name. ... >> left in my inbox that I don't want. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • router questions
    ... Just can't seem to get this old 486 configured as a router. ... The problem lies in the that I cant get both nics configured, ... bound to eth0 and eth1. ... cant determine the correct sequence of operations to make it work. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Move rule creates a copy instead
    ... Check for a second rule or a second option in the first rule that conflicts ... > that email moved to a seperate folder with that users name. ... > left in my inbox that I don't want. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Rules for Moving to a Folder
    ... In other words, I want to process rule 1 and if it moves it to a folder, I don't care about the second rule being applied to the INBOX folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)