Re: Linux server as it own firewall

From: Charles Miller (cmiller@pastiche.org)
Date: 09/16/01

From: Charles Miller <cmiller@pastiche.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:05:07 +1000
To: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <fezziker@home.com>
Subject: Re: Linux server as it own firewall

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 11:52:23PM -0600, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Seth Arnold (dis)graced my inbox with this:
> > The idea is to package "objects" into XML, encoded over http, in order
> > to allow RPC-like functionality through firewalls that allow http
> > access. SOAP is only one example of abuse of http... :)
>
> I find it strange that the w3c is advocating this... Aren't they supposed
> to be the good guys? Fighting to keep the html standards open and free,
> keeping MS and NS browsers compatible the best they can...

SOAP is an expansion of XML-RPC. It is a way of encoding a procedure call
in XML for transport over some other medium. While SOAP over HTTP is
the most popular binding, SOAP itself is transport-agnostic, and
implementations of SOAP over SMTP also exist.

There's no need for XML-RPC to have a whole new transport mechanism
when something as convenient as HTTP exists - it's direct, widely
deployed and is really already an RPC transport mechanism that hasn't
been fully exploited before because of this whole 'web page' distraction.

Take a CGI script. It takes an HTTP request as input (with optional
arguments), does some processing, and returns some response that
may, or may not be a web page. All SOAP does, is provide a mechanism
for the script to take a richer set of inputs, and provide a less
display-oriented output. As most of SOAP's detractors point out,
there's nothing you can do with SOAP that you can't already do
with existing technology.

Charles Miller

--
"There's a Vancouver Smalltalk User's Group. But I think they all just sit
in a circle and say, "Hi, my name is Bob, and I haven't used Smalltalk in

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Consume web service using HTTP
    ... \par Microsoft Online Support ... \par set objXMLSend = Server.CreateObject ... you have to use the java specific http request ... \par> component to manually send SOAP XML http request to the .net webservice ...
  • Re: Classic ASP to .NET WebService interfacing (Dataset to RecordSet)
    ... > really just looking to utilize SOAP as an alternative. ... then loads the resultant xml into a MSXML2.DomDocument ... HTTP, XML ... Please reply to the newsgroup. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)
  • Re: Stupid DCL Tricks revisited - Bar and Pie Charts in DCL
    ... With SOAP you get that part for free. ... there are more overhead in the SOAP part than in the HTTP part ... And "client side Javascript" can't use sockets now - is that your contention ... Sockets and the HTML Bridge. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: structs for data transfer?
    ... many people use XML over HTTP or even SOAP for the job ... About SOAP, my advice is use it only when is mandatory: ... struct of OP will waste about 20..50 times ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Whats the most important thing lacking in your Tcl toolbox?
    ... SOAP vs. ... That's probably true for many REST-style protocols, ... support for REST-style web services ... The core http package is ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)