Re: Linux server as it own firewall

From: Kurt Seifried (
Date: 09/13/01

From: "Kurt Seifried" <>
To: <>
Subject: Re: Linux server as it own firewall
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:56:27 -0600

> Security isn't about efficiency or cheapness, it's about being secure.
> Think about it.

Sigh. wrong. I'm not going to spend 1 million dollars securing a $50,000
asset. Something a lot of security people seem to forget:

We are here to support business functions. Not the other way around. That
means things like cost have to be taken into account, and a business case
should be made.

> Mark Ryback

Kurt Seifried,
PGP Key ID: 0xAD56E574 Fingerprint:
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Ten least secure programs
    ... it's probably better you leave the topic alone ... I said I do not have security issues with the programs I code. ... I didn't realize you were a Linux user, ... > the most widely used and secure UNIX flavors? ...
  • "An Asp.Net accident waiting to happen" - Draft article
    ... In a time where Security ... in shared hosting environments. ... technologies that allow the creation and deployment of secure ... IIS 6 web server and windows 2003 also provide some tools to deploy ...
  • RE: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
    ... I do agree that the additions and changes to Solarius will make it more secure and that this is good. ... Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk ... instead I would say that the view that security is ... Four Construction Workers Died after Crane Collapse in Toledo, ...
  • Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
    ... Anyone who has been working with computers for a long time will have noticed ... because DNS does not configure properly or security permissions are relaxed ... Is It Also Secure ... guarantee that no one really knows for sure, not even Microsoft developers. ...
  • Re: Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...
    ... If you are serious about making your machine secure, ... learn a thing or two about security. ... These logs are mailed to the root user at 3am. ... Setup dovecot and use a local email client to fetch it. ...