Re: Email and DMZs (iptables)?

From: Brian Cervenka (brian@zerobelow.org)
Date: 09/10/01

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:10:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Cervenka <brian@zerobelow.org>
To: Sean O'Meara <sean@dtmf.org>
Subject: Re: Email and DMZs (iptables)?

> Could the internal mail server just scp over the mail from the external
> machine? You would have to set up some crontabs and clock
> syncronozations, and maybe even a script to add a line or two to the
> headers in the mails, but this to me seems a much simpler solution that
> messing with the firewall.

It could work, but as blizbor pointed out (off list):
> Yes. But I've seen this a little bit complicated to avoid problems with
> not completly arrived emails.

With some mail servers, you would not need to worry about clocks, or
anything. If there's a file in the mail spool directory, the mail server
will send it. Assuming you had the same mail server inside and out, then
you'd be fine. (except for the partially received mail issue).

--brian

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Time Syncronisation
    ... ]I'm setting up a Debian Sarge box as a mail server. ... Should I run ntpdate as a cron ... iThey continually keep the clock updated, going to the web for more info ... advance or retard the clock in jumps, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Time of Messages is Off (1) Hour
    ... the mail server is wrong. ... Google and Other Search Engines ... >> Since my computer's clock is correct, I don't know what the problem is. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: outlook express
    ... Although it may not cause OE problems, when your PC clock is incorrect it ... > There was a problem logging onto your mail server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Mail server recommendations
    ... internal mail server. ... That's for a couple of seconds of exim4 run time a day, on a dual-2.8G CPU machine with half a gig of RAM. ... To be honest, the CIDR block checking is a bit of a hobby of mine, and only accounts for about half a dozen spams a day, while the DNS check alone kills about 40% of them and takes a fraction of the time. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Mail server recommendations
    ... internal mail server. ... internal monitor/security messages, like ossec and opsview, apticron ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)