DHCP Discussion

From: Hal Flynn (flynn@securityfocus.com)
Date: 08/28/01

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:34:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: Hal Flynn <flynn@securityfocus.com>
To: <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
Subject: DHCP Discussion

Along the lines of discussion we were having about securing networks, this
was posted today (or maybe yesterday...I have no idea...long weekend of
coding).

Anyways, it's an article by Tim Mullen talking about sniffing 802.11.
While it doesn't necessarily talk about gaining unauthorized access to the
network (which as we all know is possible anyway), it discusses sniffing
the network to extract sensitive information. By sniffing wired network
using dhcp-based access control, essentially the same process applies.

http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/column.html?id=19

Also note the thread on vuln-dev discussing the vulnerability in @Home.

Cheers,

Hal Flynn
Sun/Linux Focus Area Manager
SecurityFocus

"Arbeit macht das Leben süss."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Locking down Snort
    ... Sniffing is done at the Link Layer and IP is at the ... Network Layer. ... > You didn't say whether you are using windows or linux Snort. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Intrusion possible?
    ... >associates before you can actively attack that network. ... I leave my laptop running in my vehicle sniffing away merrily. ... mess after doing the capture took most of the next day. ... Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • RE: A Solution for sniffing
    ... > Now i know there are hardware devices that you can plug into that will allow ... is likely seeing all the network traffic, ... > There ARE ways to detect sniffing, ... >> least is by switching from a hub type network ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Is SSH worth it??
    ... > On an internal network that is switched is it ... > worth going to SSH and SCP?????? ... > real threat is sniffing the traffic. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Network scanning: Continued (newbie)
    ... Please see Confidentiality Notice before reading email. ... I don't think an ip address is required for sniffing. ... Subject: Network scanning: Continued ... Pretty much the same idea as mac filtering. ...
    (Security-Basics)