dunno understand FIN_WAIT1

From: Jean-Charles de Longueville (jch@hellea.be)
Date: 08/21/01

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 01:50:31 +0200
From: Jean-Charles de Longueville <jch@hellea.be>
To: "focus-linux@lists.securityfocus.com" <focus-linux@lists.securityfocus.com>
Subject: dunno understand FIN_WAIT1

Hi,

I'm usually a lurker :-)

Tonight I encounter a strange behavior of my server. He was terribly
slow to answer web requests. But when the answer came (sometimes after
more than 150 sec) it was fastly displayed in one chunk.

I tried to investigate, to no extend. free gave a lot of free memory
with no swap used. top showed no activity. ps aux the same.

After a while, everithing became fast as usual again...
I do not understand what was causing the trouble. some hidden process
eating the ressources of the machine ? How to know ?

Something weird also. This bit of extract shows a connection who is
lasting forever (I've kept my real IP as it is public knowledge for any
dns). What can it mean ?

myhost# netstat -pt
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State PID/Program name
tcp 0 469 212.68.212.198:www 212.156.70.158:4690
FIN_WAIT1 -

thanks for your attention,

--
Jean-Charles de Longueville

Relevant Pages

  • Re: errors running HttpWebRequest.GetResponse - 401 unauthorized
    ... this error was corrected by godaddy providing me with a url of a proxy ... server to use on my web requests: ... HttpWebResponse resp = null; ... > The remote server returned an error: ...
  • Re: IMAPS and/or openssl problem
    ... alfred is my server, in Ireland. ... martha is my laptop, in Italy. ... Active Internet connections ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Unable to debug ATL out-proc server when the client is ASP page
    ... 'anonymous' web requests. ... When I had two instances of server, one running inside IDE and the ... breakpoint must have hit without me setting 'The interactive user' ... Opened ASP page in IE. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Re: pythons threading has no "interrupt"?
    ... >>The application I wrote was a web server on the front of an application ... >>so that web requests were all handled in the application. ... Both the server process and the handling processwere at ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • RE: Identifying and Stopping Unwanted Net Traffic
    ... Yes you are correct in that I am running a web server. ... Active Internet connections ... the port through which the connections are made is ... Add the -p option to netstat, and you'll see the program name. ...
    (RedHat)