dunno understand FIN_WAIT1

From: Jean-Charles de Longueville (jch@hellea.be)
Date: 08/21/01

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 01:50:31 +0200
From: Jean-Charles de Longueville <jch@hellea.be>
To: "focus-linux@lists.securityfocus.com" <focus-linux@lists.securityfocus.com>
Subject: dunno understand FIN_WAIT1

Hi,

I'm usually a lurker :-)

Tonight I encounter a strange behavior of my server. He was terribly
slow to answer web requests. But when the answer came (sometimes after
more than 150 sec) it was fastly displayed in one chunk.

I tried to investigate, to no extend. free gave a lot of free memory
with no swap used. top showed no activity. ps aux the same.

After a while, everithing became fast as usual again...
I do not understand what was causing the trouble. some hidden process
eating the ressources of the machine ? How to know ?

Something weird also. This bit of extract shows a connection who is
lasting forever (I've kept my real IP as it is public knowledge for any
dns). What can it mean ?

myhost# netstat -pt
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State PID/Program name
tcp 0 469 212.68.212.198:www 212.156.70.158:4690
FIN_WAIT1 -

thanks for your attention,

--
Jean-Charles de Longueville