Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

From: Charlie Brady (charlieb@e-smith.com)
Date: 08/18/01

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Charlie Brady <charlieb@e-smith.com>
To: Rob 'Feztaa' Park <fezziker@home.com>
Subject: Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:

> True, I suppose. Can pine do that though? To my knowledge pine is only
> capable of putting a message into [postfix|sendmail]'s send queue, which
> is then sent. Is there another way? I'm all for security, here :)

Yes, but [qmail|postfix|sendmail] can have a send queue without you
running an SMTP server.

And Rob is referring to the same thing as you are: "your MTA [...] called
as a program" is the same thing as "putting a message into
[postfix|sendmail]'s send queue".

But there is another way. You can configure pine to send it to someone
else's SMTP server - which is presumably exactly what your MTA will do in
order to get the message out of its send queue.

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Charles Miller (dis)graced my inbox with this:
> > You should only be running an SMTP server if you are _receiving_ mail. For
> > sending mail, your MTA need only be called as a program by the MUA, and
> > need never listen on the network.

Charlie Brady charlieb@e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000 Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MessageDrivenBeans
    ... listening for JMS messages. ... Minor advantage using non-daemon threads to keep the queue listeners ... // UIL2 is the only external client connector ... QueueConnectionFactory factory = tmp; ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: MessageDrivenBeans
    ... listening for JMS messages. ... Having multiple consumers on a single queue is far from rare or specialized. ... My recollection of the JBoss documentation is that it is recommended that you access the connection factory at java:/ConnectionFactory, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: OT - Spotify
    ... soon as I hear them once, I delete them from the queue whether I like them or not, because I don't have time to listen to any album twice. ... The queue is getting gradually longer, so I can't imagine reaching a point in the next few years where I have time to re-listen to any music I've already heard. ... I'm listening to "So Tough" by St Etienne right now, knowing that no matter how much I like it, I'll never hear it again, so it doesn't matter how much or little I like it because there is no reason to form a bond with the sound. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: OT: Santas grotty
    ... Paid by credit card, do you think I can request a charge back as ... Listening to the people who have been was funny ... 40-minute queue snaking in front of them. ... There were people on who've forked out for tickets and who will not be ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Architecture advise wanted.
    ... > queue has an object and then go. ... (accepting UDP connections from UDP clients, ... following code listening for UDP. ... Consumer class would have to be polling it constantly. ...