Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

From: Charlie Brady (charlieb@e-smith.com)
Date: 08/18/01

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Charlie Brady <charlieb@e-smith.com>
To: Rob 'Feztaa' Park <fezziker@home.com>
Subject: Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:

> True, I suppose. Can pine do that though? To my knowledge pine is only
> capable of putting a message into [postfix|sendmail]'s send queue, which
> is then sent. Is there another way? I'm all for security, here :)

Yes, but [qmail|postfix|sendmail] can have a send queue without you
running an SMTP server.

And Rob is referring to the same thing as you are: "your MTA [...] called
as a program" is the same thing as "putting a message into
[postfix|sendmail]'s send queue".

But there is another way. You can configure pine to send it to someone
else's SMTP server - which is presumably exactly what your MTA will do in
order to get the message out of its send queue.

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Charles Miller (dis)graced my inbox with this:
> > You should only be running an SMTP server if you are _receiving_ mail. For
> > sending mail, your MTA need only be called as a program by the MUA, and
> > need never listen on the network.

Charlie Brady charlieb@e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000 Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739