Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

From: Minna Kangasluoma (minna.kangasluoma@nixu.com)
Date: 08/16/01

From: Minna Kangasluoma <minna.kangasluoma@nixu.com>
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:36:41 +0300

Paul Allen wrote:
> On my Mandrake 8.0 box, I added "-nolisten tcp" to the server startup
> line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. (There's no xserverrc script and no
> reference to it anywhere.) Then, in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, I put
> this line:
>
> DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
>
> Now, neither X nor xdm listen on the ethernet interface. I suppose
> this doesn't fix the case where I start X with startx, but I'm never
> going to do that. :-)

How does this affect X connections that are forwarded over ssh? I've
been led to understand that forwarded connections use some other means
to connect to the X server. Does adding the above-mentioned options
block these connections as well?

Regards,

Minna

--
Curiosity killed the cat, but at first we suspected you.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help with bandwidth management . . .
    ... also be a good time to separate the wired from the wireless parts of ... wired connections. ... QoS lan port settings, and I cannot get anything consistent. ... switch ports and limit the bandwidth per port (the settings are ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Iptables FTP question
    ... for secondary connections. ... Some ftp servers don't allow passive mode because it is less safe from ... algs that allow port mode for client machines. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Need Help on setting up a small home site.
    ... > told me that I have to open that port and forward request to my ... computer is the first network device. ... connections to port 80, so that they can be routed through to something ... > So if U don't consider it rude to post a long config file here, ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix)
  • Re: Looking for program that emails me when dhcp addr changes
    ... For SSH all you need forwarded is TCP Port 22... ... >>participate in TCP connections or UDP conversations it initiates but ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: Polling For 100 mbps Connections? (Was Re: Freebsd Theme Song)
    ... Polling For 100 mbps Connections? ... TCP port 5001 TCP window size: ... on pci0 pci1: on pcib1 ... 0xd0400000-0xd041ffff,0xd0460000-0xd0460fff irq 10 at device 15.0 on pci0 ...
    (freebsd-questions)