Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

From: Dragos Ruiu (dr@kyx.net)
Date: 08/16/01

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
Subject: Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:25:29 -0700

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Avery Payne wrote:

> KDM openning a connection on 1024 is a different issue. Why the fsck are we
> binding root-priv programs to ports above 1024 to begin with? Can anyone
> explain the design goal of this?
>
> And XDM running on 177 is *entirely* a different issue. Frankly, opening
> ports below 1024 makes me nervous, period. (because they are by nature
> privledged, and only a few services are smart enough to drop their privs to
> something less than "root"). The last line of this email is quite
> effective, when placed *last* in a chain set. I call it "the bit sump",
> because all of the lowest-common denomination probes/attacks are snared by
> it:

AFAIK KDM and XDM predate the common adoption of the <1024 "priviledged"
port convention (XDM for sure...). So it's not to fair to pick on it too hard,
and probably well too late to change this without undue legacy app breakage...
imho.

cheers,
--dr

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.
    ... Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port. ... you use as a network firewall. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.
    ... Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port. ... Just checked my Slackware 8.0 box and it's also listening on port 6000. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Correction
    ... Normally to physically disconnect is just a matter of reaching for the ... >> I have an ADSL connection which polls my computer from time to time, ... > disallow each and every port with Windows Firewall? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... Internet to initiate an IP conversation with your computer. ... This situation is different than if you ran your own NAT connection sharing ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... it certainly appears to be something about the SBS configuration. ... Meridian.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Windows SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2003 Windows IP Configuration ... 192.168.254.254) directly to a port on the router and then ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)