Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

From: Corey Steele (CSteele@good-sam.com)
Date: 08/15/01

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:00:39 -0500
From: "Corey Steele" <CSteele@good-sam.com>
To: <skylinux@earthlink.net>, <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

As our friend Janto Trappe <list@sylence.de> noted previously, you can prevent X from listening by running `startx -- -nolisten tcp`. I would suggest taking that a step further and setting up an alias in your shell profile to the affect of:

alias startx='startx -nolisten tcp'

...then, you can just do your `startx` from command-line. I checked the XF86Config man page and I can't find any way to disable listening for the global server (i.e. if you were running KDM, XDM, or GDM, etc...) I would however surmise that those applications do indeed have ways of limiting logons.

Best Regards,
-C

Corey J. Steele, Security Analyst
Good Samaritan Society
e-mail: csteele@good-sam.com
voice: (605) 362-3899

>>> skylinux <skylinux@earthlink.net> 08/14/01 06:32PM >>>
Just checked my Slackware 8.0 box and it's also listening on port 6000.
Even if you use startx.

Skylinux

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Best Plan of action for 2 forest.......
    ... PortQry reports the status of a port in one of the following ways: ... ..LISTENING This response indicates that a process is listening on the target ...
  • Re: RIP issue with HMC - security violation?
    ... using an UDP port, 520, which would normally imply that there was a Routing ... Information Protocol (RIP) process behind it capable of modifying the routing ... as a "listening" state for the application. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: RealVNC
    ... If we are talking about RealVNC it goes this way ... Then there is default Java listening port on port 5800 on the client machine ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cant join a domain
    ... Attempting to resolve name to IP address... ... TCP port 42: NOT LISTENING ...