Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

From: Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha (strange@nsk.yi.org)
Date: 08/15/01

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:34:48 +0100
From: Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange@nsk.yi.org>
To: Luca Fornasari <luca.fornasari@easybit.it>
Subject: Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 08:46:01PM +0200, Luca Fornasari wrote:
<snip>
> Then xdm reads /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc and launch X with the appropiate
> arguments. Users cant use xinit to launch X because X is already running.
> Any comment?
</snip>

Well, in RedHat 6.x, 7.x, any user can launch another X server with startx
by appending the options -- :1, telling the X server to run at screen :1.
Or they could use screen :2, :3, etc...

Of course, they don't have to use startx or xinit to launch the X server,
they can launch X directly by calling the apropriate server for the display
card: /etc/X11/X :1

Also, there is another X server (Xnest) that just runs as a client of another
X server.

--
Luciano Rocha, strange@nsk.yi.org

The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what you want. -- D. Cohen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port.
    ... Disabling X and KDM from listening on a port. ... Users cant use xinit to launch X because X is already running. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • RE: attempt to launch a DCOM server?
    ... launch the 'IISAdmin Service' to enable it's web management interface. ... This was on a server that once had IIS in use but when it was ... which we know is patched against the RPC DCOM ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: So no Apple Active Directory?
    ... Login locally to the client and launch Directory Access. ... Basic Open Directory Authentication on Clients. ... LDAP Mappings: 'Open Directory Server' ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: So no Apple Active Directory?
    ... Login locally to the client and launch Directory Access. ... Basic Open Directory Authentication on Clients. ... LDAP Mappings: 'Open Directory Server' ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: My MFC VC++ app is crashing within ProcessShellCommand
    ... Either it is a service, and therefore cannot be double-clicked to launch it, or it is an ... server both when running interactively (by double-clicking on the exe when I, ... under a local account. ... The application works fine both interactivle and as a service under a local ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)