Re: FW: Question

From: Damian Gerow (damian@sentex.ca)
Date: 07/31/01

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:52:47 -0400
From: Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.ca>
Subject: Re: FW: Question
To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

> Nothing beats a Astaro Security Linux. It runs on a self contained secured
> linux distro and has a nice web based user interface.
>
> Please visit www.astaro.com or www.astaro.org for the discussion group.

Except for PPPoE support - it's more than a massive headache to get
PPPoE working properly, unless you know what you're doing. Needing to
updated the PPPd requires a static compile on another machine, it breaks
certain aspects of the web interface (which is the magic of the whole
product), and the firewall complains about a number of things not
working, as well as trying to re-configure itself, thus breaking all
your configuration. Support for PPPoE isn't due out until later this
year at the earliest (though demand for it is high, so they may move it
up).

Besides, it uses iptables. Which, I believe, is what the original
requestor wanted to avoid.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FW: Question
    ... > Nothing beats a Astaro Security Linux. ... > linux distro and has a nice web based user interface. ... Except for PPPoE support - it's more than a massive headache to get ... PPPoE working properly, unless you know what you're doing. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • FW: Question
    ... Nothing beats a Astaro Security Linux. ... linux distro and has a nice web based user interface. ... I know it's gotta be a stupid question but if anyone knows a good = ...
    (Focus-Linux)