Re: IDS causing troubles

On Feb 18, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Curt Purdy wrote:

Did not realize you were with Sourcefire Joel, would not have been so
'harsh' in my comments. Give my regards to Martin.

It's not a problem, don't take it like that, I just view it as important to education those that may not be aware of the terminology that is in play.

FWIW, it was Snort that forced me to create the world's first SIM in
2000, when I could not stand the false positives, and decided to put
all my servers in the top 128 of a class A and nothing but honeypots
in the bottom 128 and only monitor it. Every time I got an alert, I
knew I had bagged a cracker.

This is STILL an effective method against scanners and scripts. However, unfortunately, most of the attacks have turned client side now, and the game has changed.

Joel

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSNA, GSEC, MCSE+I, CCNA
infosysec@xxxxxxxxx
purdy@xxxxxxxxxx