RE: IDS causing troubles

We had problem with IPS. It was down at least once a month. When we debug that issue we discovered that the number of session before the down time was huge, CPU - 80-85%. After the long research, the decision was to upgrade the device.
After upgrade the problem gone.

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Shang Tsung
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:53 AM
To: focus-ids@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IDS causing troubles

Hello,

We have the following problem. Now and then, the IDS will cause
disruptions to the network, especially after updates. We have an IBM
(ex ISS) Intrusion Detection System with a few network sensors and
several host sensors. The IDS is not managed by us but we have it
outsourced.

The disruptions mentioned above cause our network engineers extreme
dissatisfaction (and anxiety) about the IDS and they would "burn the
damn thing", if they could. We have 2 - 3 serious issues, causing
downtime, per year.

My questions are:

- Are any of you experience the same issues?
- Is these disruptions common to others or should we seriously
consider replacing the IDS and/or the outsourcing company?
- Could this be an issue with our network infrastructure?

I will appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
ST

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate on your web server, you can securely collect sensitive information online, and increase business by giving your customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;9a80e04e1a17f194