From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Shang Tsung
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:23 PM
To: focus-ids@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IDS causing troubles

Hello,

We have the following problem. Now and then, the IDS will cause
disruptions to the network, especially after updates. We have an IBM
(ex ISS) Intrusion Detection System with a few network sensors and
several host sensors. The IDS is not managed by us but we have it
outsourced.

The disruptions mentioned above cause our network engineers extreme
dissatisfaction (and anxiety) about the IDS and they would "burn the
damn thing", if they could. We have 2 - 3 serious issues, causing
downtime, per year.

My questions are:

- Are any of you experience the same issues?
- Is these disruptions common to others or should we seriously
consider replacing the IDS and/or the outsourcing company?
- Could this be an issue with our network infrastructure?

I will appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
ST

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate on your web server, you can securely collect sensitive information online, and increase business by giving your customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;9a80e04e1a17f194

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate on your web server, you can securely collect sensitive information online, and increase business by giving your customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;9a80e04e1a17f194

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IDS and NMS
    ... Start by designing and installing a network. ... Next, a more detailed view of the network is required, so a NMS is ... the network administrator wants to see what ... This is where integrating the IDS console into the NMS makes sense. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: "false positive" inanity
    ... So Mr. Snyder is asking for an IDS that does not need to be configured? ... maximum control of his/her network. ... attack. ... > assuming that it is not an intrusion. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Secure Network Design (DMZ, LAN, etc)
    ... I'd like one outside the firewall and one ... I assumed I could make the first IDS ... should I have the IDS listening on the 192.168.1.0/24 network as well (web ... >Since the whole world will need access to your web servers, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • IDS causing troubles
    ... disruptions to the network, especially after updates. ... The IDS is not managed by us but we have it ... The disruptions mentioned above cause our network engineers extreme ... consider replacing the IDS and/or the outsourcing company? ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Need some information on HIDS!
    ... I have already invoked such a scenario in some of my previous IDS ... What I had in mind is something like encrypting the whole ... network traffic, to prevent sniffing from intruders (let's say wall-to-wall ... analysing and displaying logs. ...
    (Focus-IDS)