From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joel M Snyder
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 12:16 PM
To: focus-ids@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IPS Performance Testing (pointer to article)

I don't normally shill my own stuff, but this article came
out today and
it is entirely apropos to the discussion we have been having
about IPS
performance testing (although I wasn't thinking 10G when I
wrote it, I
admit).

http://searchmidmarketsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid
198_gci1349879_mem1,00.html

"IPS performance is something you can't afford to get wrong.
Unfortunately, performance is difficult to test, and the results are
almost as hard to describe. As IPS moves further up the
network stack,
performance becomes highly data-dependent. This is different
from what
we're used to witnessing in the world of switches and routers, where
performance is easy enough to describe. ..."

Apologies to anyone who is offended by the pointer.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One Phone: +1 520 324 0494

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate
and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate on
your web server, you can securely collect sensitive
information online, and increase business by giving your
customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;
9a80e04e1a17f194

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate on your web server, you can securely collect sensitive information online, and increase business by giving your customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;9a80e04e1a17f194

Relevant Pages

  • [Suspected Spam]RE: Re: I love the smell of whining in the morning...
    ... security conferences we see nowadays. ... what is the big deal if one of the IPS players got bad results? ... Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL. ... A guide to understanding SSL certificates, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • RE: IPS Performance Testing (pointer to article)
    ... Can you contribute results from the environments that you have ... IPS Performance Testing ... Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL. ... A guide to understanding SSL certificates, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: newbie questions
    ... The NSS Group ... > inspection in Top Layer's network IPS products. ... > I'm not quite sure, however, why you're bashing the NSS IPS tests. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • RE: IPS Performance Testing (pointer to article)
    ... The paper is applicable in both lab testing environments and real world ... deployments as it talks about the things that impact network IPS ... "Factors Affecting Network IPS Throughput". ... A guide to understanding SSL certificates, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: IPS Performance Testing (pointer to article)
    ... "Factors Affecting Network IPS Throughput". ... Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL. ...
    (Focus-IDS)