Re: Honeypots, what is their limits for intrusion detection?

Tomas,

From a misuse detection pov it will obiviously alert you on potential attacks to a honeypot. But any and all traffic destined to a honeynet (pot) should be deemed suspicious or malicious as there is no legitimate reason for communication between these hosts and others. This could also serve as an early warning system since all trafic is suspicious at the very least.

A honeypot(net) are also not productional systems so their downtime for analysis is not problem and this is where the true value comes in. An IDS can't tell you if successful or not just that it saw something with ful blown access such detrmination can be made on top of method, tools and what they did once they got in, etc...

A great use-case. There was a worm released with no A/V or IDS covrage that was discovered through the traffic generated towards the honeynet.

Hope that helps,

----
Sent from my iPhone