Upgrading snort to latest version-things required?

Hi All,

The place i work for is running really very old version of snort.
I want to ask them to upgrade, and i have never ever done any
production level upgradations. So just want to be prepared for some
questions
Will it be good to upgrade to snort 3.0 which is still in beta stage.
Or will the 2.8 be okay.
Is 3.0 ready for production use(though it is still beta)?
Also how to go about making an upgradation plan? What all things to be
looked into?
Any standard plan that most people follow with certain modifications
according to the environment?

Thanks
Aseem

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.

  • Re: Well, its a kind of sewing! ;-)
    ... My mother gave me her first knitting machine 40 ... upgrade one. ...
    (alt.sewing)
  • Re: Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5
    ... But I still wonder how software in beta stage can go to a ... responsibility using FOSS anymore. ... I'd be tempted to suggest that if you habitually upgrade your OS without taking backups, and then are surprised to lose data you've not backed up, you might not be able to take the kind of responsibility involved in using _any_ software. ...
    (Ubuntu)