Re: Is this for real?

phil.johnson@xxxxxxx wrote:

http://www.dontsteal.net

For example, if someone used a rainbow table to get into your dummy
but WPA'ed router, and if you had this system set up, and if the
intruder logged to certain accounts (say yahoo mail, for instance),
*every* stored message is downloaded and a database created, for
identification purposes. Same thing with other kinds of connections.

Firstly, it's a totally dumb system for INTRUDERS. At most it will work
against your careless neighbor or run-of-the-mill wardriver.

Secondly, it is probably illegal to do anything like that. Intercepting
communications of someone else, getting his passwords and his email, in
Italy would lead to prosecution under at least 3-4 different titles of
our penal code. IN PARTICULAR if you do it routinely against people who
mean you no harm (e.g. I sit down in a Starbucks, and pick up YOUR
wireless LAN instead of the shop's one... and you log all of my accounts ?!)

All in all, I think that this is almost as bad as "strike back
technology", and has almost the same stink of snake oil to it.

Stefano

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.

  • Re: O2 Broadband
    ... Any sort of technical setup info seems to be sadly lacking ... Anyone got an opinion on the O2 broadband, ... The only recurring problem I've seen is when the supplied router just slows then stops external traffic, possibly due to DNS problems but I've not managed to fix them - it's quicker just to reboot. ... The extra email accounts are set up as "Secondary online accounts". ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Win XP, NAT, DSL and File Sharing
    ... Also, any names of systems, workgroups, user accounts, etc are ... | connected via a wireless connection to the router, set up with passwords, ... you use passwords on all accounts, disable the "guest" account and use strong passwords on ...
  • Re: Win XP, NAT, DSL and File Sharing
    ... Thus no MS Networking leaks out to the Internet and hackers and Internet worms (Sasser, ... Some accounts do not have passwords as it ... It is the safe way to compute. ... it does nothing for security on the LAN side of the Router. ...
  • Re: can ping but not view other pcs by share name - error 53 has occur
    ... Do the computers have accounts with passwords? ... I have a linksys wrt54g router on my home network and 2 pc's running win ... I have disabled simple file sharing, configured the firewall on both pc's ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: BE to sky move - does one get access to an SMTP server
    ... It is a standard Yahoo Mail feature. ... same as logging in for email access on the sky.com site. ... There, under settings and then accounts, one can add a list of accounts. ... If an outgoing message has an address not on this list it gets rejected with ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)