From: Stefano Zanero [mailto:s.zanero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 3:52 PM
To: Gopinath_Ramamoorthy@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: focus-ids@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IDS

Gopinath_Ramamoorthy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear Team...

I have used few IDS in my network, doesn't found them working in the
way i wanted.

If you have a problem with your stomach and take an aspirin, is the
aspirin to blame ?

My requirement is when there is a machine / laptop are
connected to my network, which is not updated with the current
Patches, Security updates which is being approved needs to be
reported to the Sys admin and immediate necessary steps would be
taken.

What you describe is called (in the Cisco world) Network Access Control,
and in general Endpoint Control. Google for this, and you will find a
lot of information.

Stefano

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.