Tracking back internal incidents to users, not IPs

Given the wealth of expertise here, and the combined hundreds of years
of seat of the pants experience dealing with IDS alerts/incidents, I was
curious how most of us were figuring out users to contact VS system IPs.
Given that this is the 'last mile' for many of us, I believe it an ok
topic for this list.

My personal interest is as it relates to internal to internal incidents,
but it has lots of overlap with external to internal and internal to
external incidents as well.

Say for example you detect port scanning originating from an
un-authorized internal system, how do you go about getting a user name?

Note that I am assuming that the source is a DHCP system here (otherwise
it is much easier problem).

I realize there is a lot of industry talk around DHCP, DDNS, user auth
(say Active Directory), NAC and such, but looking at real situations
today I am very interested in how people are solving this problem.

I am often given an internal IP# on my own network and asked to call the
user and ask them why they are doing something strange. I would ideally
like to use some kind of extended NSlookup to tell me who to call. And
while I won't be a spokes person for Microsoft any time soon, I think it
safe to assume that I would like to somehow find this info stored within
AD.

And yes, I realize that for the info to get to AD, it must be a
credentialed user, and maybe this is an area to debate, but I am simply
looking for ideas based on how others have solved this, not a 100%
perfect solution.

Thoughts?

Note that I would take an open source or a commercial product as a
viable answer.

Thanks

________________________
Charles Kaplan

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.

  • Re: [Fwd: BUSINESS ANALYST/ CALIPER/ CONTRACT/ VA]
    ... You seem to think that Informix is important, and yet, I would need just ... If IBM dumps IDS into the public domain, ... but you have to think like Open Source people ...
    (comp.databases.informix)
  • RE: Legal problem - IDS - Commercial Vs Open Source.
    ... ALL SOFTWARE, Including Free, GNU, commercial, Open Source and all have NO WARRANTIES liscencies except some very rare and special cases. ... Legal problem - IDS - Commercial Vs Open Source. ... If we have a breaking and are using a commercial IDS product ... Can you sue ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: IBM Gives Away DB2
    ... If IBM offered a free "IDS Express" that competed in the same ... who have a vision about how IT could be, Open Source means something. ... support, it's often cheaper to buy a commercial product. ... the sticker price of commercial software helps subsidise the ...
    (comp.databases.informix)
  • Re: New Azwalaro project, is a French Open Source Nids project
    ... this gentleman for announcing his new open source NIDS project -- would ... you have done the same when Snort was first announced? ... IDS project that they've taken the time to develop, ... Applied Watch Technologies, LLC ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • RE: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback
    ... IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback ... we all sell what we know. ... of an open source product on the Internet. ...
    (Focus-IDS)