RE: HIDS/HIPS Selection Process

There is a good article which can be found in security focus in Nov 2005,
(http://informationsecurity.techtarget.com/magLogin/1,291245,sid42_gci113792
5,00.html) where they did a bake off of IPS solutions, though they are
network based, many of the same considerations are suggested.

Specifically you want to be wary of

1. The ability of the HIPS/HIDS solution to work with the applications that
you have running on your network. Many custom apps are written which do not
abide by RFC specifications and may make unusually system calls etc.

2. Next look to ensure that they support the variety of platforms that you
have in production, their obligation to support new OS (Solaris 10, Vista,
etc.).

3. Length of time it takes to tune policies, the management interface that
the solution provides.

4. Its ability to tie into current SIMs if any are present.

5. Ability to push patches from management console instead of requiring an
administrator to go out and touch each installed agent.

6. Are the solutions anomaly based or signature based or both?

-Spyro Malaspinas