To: <focus-ids@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 4:00 PM
Subject: RE: Denial of Service: Commercial Defense products

This is just some background info on this new (D)DoS technology Radware has, so people have a better idea of what Avi is talking about...

These parameters are:

1. Source IP.
2. Destination IP.
3. Source port.
4. Destination port.
5. Packet ID (IP ID).
6. Packet size.
7. TCP TTL.
8. ToS.
9. IP checksum.
10. TCP sequence number.
11. TCP checksum.
12. TCP flags.
13. ICMP checksum.
14. UDP checksum.
15. ICMP message type.
16. DNS query.
17. DNS query ID.

They create dynamic filters and see what kind of effect they have
and how the blocked traffic source behaves. Based on those results
they adjust those filters.

The way things work it's not unusual for them to block legitimate
traffic for a very small period of time while they are trying to
figure out if traffic they are processing is bad or good. They idea
is that those black out periods wouldn't affect the legitimate traffic
much.

Kyle

P.S.
I don't work for Radware :-)