Re: Denial of Service: Commercial Defense products

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas_at_dvb.homelinux.org)
Date: 11/24/05

    Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:59:41 +0530
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    On 22/11/05 16:43 +0700, Ogle wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have an ISP customer who want to protect their network and their
    > subscriber's network.
    > In "Internet Denial of Service: Attack and Defense Mecahnisms" book, I
    > noticed 7 commercial products.
    > 1. Mazu Enforcer by Mazu Networks
    > 2. Peakflow by Arbor Networks
    > 3. WS Series Apliances by Webscreen Technologies
    > 4. Captus IPS by Captus Networks
    > 5. MANAnet Shield by CS3
    > 6. Cisco Traffic Anomaly Detector XT and Cisco Guard XT
    > 7. StealthWatch by Lancope
    >
    > Since I'm new with this type of products, is there any reference out
    > there to help me choose the right solution to my customer ?
    > Is there any problem if I use IPS (ie: TippingPoint, McAfee) for this solution ?

    What kind of DoS? Is this a simple packet flooding choking the pipe? Is
    this an application layer attack? Syn floods? Physical damage to links?

    Devdas Bhagat

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it
    with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    to learn more.