Re: Cisco IDS 4250 vs Sourcefire IS3000 + RNA Sensor

From: Joel Esler (eslerj_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/18/05

    Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:52:53 -0400
    To: Tim Holman <tim_holman@hotmail.com>

    Sourcefire's IS3000 is an IPS if employed in that mode.

    Joel

    On Oct 13, 2005, at 7:31 AM, Tim Holman wrote:

    > Hi Jonathan,
    >
    > Wouldn't you rather block bad traffic, rather than detect it?
    > Most companies are moving away from IDS as a protection mechanism,
    > because:
    >
    > 1) It only detects, and doesn't effectively block intrusions
    > 2) Problems with false positives, as by using pattern matching
    > signatures, there is always a chance that these patterns also
    > appear in valid traffic
    > 3) Management overheads. An IDS can only be a reasonably
    > effective prevention method if there is someone on hand 24/7 to
    > monitor logs and take immediate action on intrusions. Even then ,
    > the intrusion has got in, as admins very rarely use the active
    > blocking features of an IDS (namely sending RST packets to kill
    > connections, or modifying upstream ACLs), as these are too likely
    > to have an effect on valid traffic
    > 4) There is absolutely no protection for rate-based attacks (SYN,
    > TCP, UDP floods)
    > 5) Without maintaining a L3/4 connection/state table, there is no
    > way an IDS can be truly stateful. 100% statefulness means that
    > everything from the initial SYN to the final RST/FIN packet of a
    > connection is stored in a connection table. This requires the
    > device to be INLINE, and operating at L3. This is the only way a
    > protection device can provide effective defence against L3
    > attacks. An offline IDS cannot do this.
    >
    > I would recommend looking at IPS products instead, so something
    > that you can postion inline and get immediate value from.
    > If you feel the Cisco IDS is getting a little tired, then an IPS
    > will also help take the load off it, by getting rid of Internet
    > white noise, providing additional firewall filtering, and also
    > defence against rate-based attacks.
    > A true IPS will focus on defining what is GOOD traffic, and
    > assuming all else is BAD (and dropping it). By doing this, zero-
    > day attacks can be virtually be eliminated, as they all ultimately
    > rely on abuse of a valid protocol in the hope of slipping past your
    > protection mechanisms and onto your network.
    > This works quite well in conjucntion with an IDS, that focuses on
    > searching traffic for badness.
    > Replacing like for like (IDS for IDS) is not going to give you much
    > value, and even the market analysts are recommending against it.
    > IDS isn't dead. Far off it, but use it for what it's good for -
    > DETECTION and FORENSICS, and not as a device that can insure your
    > network against rate-based and zero-day attacks.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tim
    >

    > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Gauntt"
    > <jon0966@yahoo.com>

    • Re: IDS evaluations procedures
      ... an IPS when the attack was not a variant strain of a previous attack/virii ... like an IDS are they not? ... Traffic-based anomalies? ... Are you only interested in classic "attacks" (fire up Nessus, ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: Recent Gartner IDS/IPS report
      ... > resources to properly analyze security reports, ... > replace the IDS products. ... since these same vendors compete with your ... Basing IPS entirely on IDS and making the offspring a single product is ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Fingerprinting IDS sensors?
      ... The nature of the response will tell you the nature of the defenses. ... That depends on if the IDS is monitored or not. ... An IPS will actively interfere with traffic patterns and you can find it by launching sample attacks at a target and watching for a response. ... With sufficient profiles of a set of IPS it would be possible to craft a tool that could identify which IPS is inline based on which attacks are blocked and how. ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: IDS alerts / second - Correlation - Virtualization
      ... combinations that operating systems and applications respond improperly ... IDS alerts / second - Correlation - Virtualization ... any IPS has to do IDS first. ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: IDS evaluations procedures
      ... Tim might be making more emphasis on the protective nature of IPS, ... I disagree with the "real-world protection against ... IPS is helpful to stop, at least, known attacks, while requiring less ... attention than with IDS; on the other hand, IDS is helpful to detect a wider ...
      (Focus-IDS)