Re: Cisco IDS 4250 vs Sourcefire IS3000 + RNA Sensor

From: Teemu Schaabl (teemu_at_lynix.net)
Date: 10/14/05

    Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:24:50 +0200
    To: Jonathan Gauntt <jon0966@yahoo.com>

    Hi Jonathan,

    Jonathan Gauntt(jon0966@yahoo.com)@2005.10.12 11:57:00 +0000:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are currently running a Cisco IDS 4250 that monitors our internal
    > traffic. We essentially use this device for historical reporting because we
    > are a medical oriented facility with at least 100 3rd party connections to
    > us besides the 8000 employees.
    >
    > I am considering upgrading the Cisco IDS 4250 to the XL to handle higher
    > throughput but have been evaluating the Sourcefire IS300 and their RNA
    > sensor.
    >
    > I have the ability to purchase the Sourcefire unit or upgrade the 4250.
    >
    > Sourcefire claims that they are superior with state full IDS inspection and
    > an overall better product.
    >
    > Does anyone have any thoughts on these two products? I have about $100k in
    > my budget to spend.

    try out http://www.nss.co.uk/download/download.htm, you can read testimonial
    of at least the sourcefire appliances (maybe not the exact one, you're searching
    for, but at least about the involved technology)

    regards,
    teemu

    --
    "Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision
     for the limits of the world." - Schopenhauer