Re: HIDS solution for NT4 machines

From: Jason Thompson (securitux_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/06/05

    Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:30:24 -0400
    To: OnlyIknow 4sure <bcihak@gmail.com>

    What about Snort? They have binaries for Win32, and as long as Winpcap
    will run under NT4, snort should be a breeze. I haven't run Snort
    myself in NT4, but it's definitely worth a test.

    And as far as price goes, it doesn't get much cheaper :)

    -J

    On 10/6/05, OnlyIknow 4sure <bcihak@gmail.com> wrote:
    > We did think about putting an IDS/IPS device in front of the NT4 machines or
    > even a Cisco Pix FW, but the expense knocked that idea down. Some of the
    > boxes are already on segregated networks in some of our manufacturing
    > plants, but someone could plug an infected system up unknowingly to that
    > network segment and then game over. I know we're not the only company out
    > there that unfortunately has NT4 machines running, I'm just surprised that
    > there's not a company out there servicing this area.
    >
    > I looked at Osiris and am trying to figure out if that will work for our
    > needs or not. I'd appreciate any other software/hardware ideas you guys
    > might have.
    >
    > Thank!
    >
    > Bcihak
    >

    > On 10/5/05, Jason <securitux@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > If you can't find a HIDS, then you can always put in a network IPS and use
    > > it to separate your NT4 servers from the rest of the environment. If 6a
    > > breaks your software, a HIDS may as well, even if you find one that works
    > on
    > > less than 6a. So a network IPS would be a good alternative.
    > >
    > > -J

    • Re: About DNS naming convention for Active Directory
      ... All services, such as logon, authentication, etc, should continue as previous under NT4 with the same users. ... Now, if I may try to translate what you just posted here, you are saying that you upgraded this in a test network and then plugged it into your main network? ... Now AD doesn't require WINS to function, since it relies purely on DNS services, but it can affect your current legacy and newer clients, since they've been using NTLM as the authentication method with NT4. ... Once Win2000 and newer machines realize there's an AD domain out there, their authentication method now turns to and sticks with Kerberos. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
    • uPnP flood
      ... I've noticed via Snort that there is a lot of uPnP traffic coming from 5 of these machines. ... I've disabled the SSDPSRV and UPNPHOST services on these computers and applied the Q315000 uPnP buffer overrun patch onto these machines. ... It's not choking the network, but would like to keep the network traffic clear and close potential security holes as well. ...
    • sp2 download from nt?
      ... I have nt4 and want to download xp-sp2 and put it on the ... network to update other machines at another time. ...
    • Re: Printer problems
      ... > This connection fails ... >> printer to NT4, the browser shows the machine name, but doesn't ... >>> We have a network with SBS2k server and NT4 wk/stns. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)